“The children I’ve cared for at our hospital and heard from have all recovered,” said Dr. Lois Lee, on Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Emergency Medicine at Harvard Medical School. “But some have had to be hospitalized for treatment and monitoring. And others spent hours in the emergency room while their parents waited for them to get to the point where they could be safely discharged home.”
What should you do if your child has eaten cannabis?
If you think your child may have ingested cannabis, call the poison control center to speak to someone right away, said Dr. Lee.
The poison control center can also advise you when it is necessary to see a doctor.
If your child has more severe symptoms — such as vomiting, seizures, difficulty breathing, or not waking up — it’s best to go straight to the emergency room, where doctors can run toxicology tests and provide oxygen and other treatments if needed,” added Dr. Lee added.
“Many children don’t need comprehensive treatment, just observation until they wake up,” she said.
How can you protect children from accidental swallowing?
First, don’t assume that child-resistant packaging alone will deter a determined child from eating your edibles.
“Parents and caregivers should always keep cannabis products, especially edibles, safely out of the reach of children,” said Dr. white hill “Kids are really smart and some kids just meddle in everything, so it’s a good idea to lock it up – like you would with certain medications.”
“Sealed is best when possible,” agreed Kaitlyn Brown, clinical director of the American Association of Poison Control Centers. “Parents think they have something on the fridge, totally out of reach, out of sight, and the next thing they know, their 2-year-old is a rock climber and scaling the counter.”